It’s pretty close to the middle of winter here in Loveland so not many people have new siding on the mind. But when your siding is failing and the signs are there–you may have no other choice than to address the issue. There are definitely certain signs of wear and tear on your siding that screams “replace me” no matter what time of year. So what the signs that your Loveland home needs new siding? And which ones mean you need new siding right now or later? Read below and find out!
Dry Rot: Dry rot is the result of fungus and is below the surface of your Loveland home’s siding. It may still look fine from the outside but the structure below is gone and this makes your Colorado home vulnerable to further damage.
- Repeated Repainting: You shouldn’t need to paint your home more than every 6-7 years. If you are–it is probably time to get new siding–and even that there is something more wrong with it than just the appearance.
- Warped Siding: If your siding looks wavy or bulging– the underlayer has likely started to rot and has compromised the siding and your home. This is something that means new siding is a must.
- High Heating And Cooling Bills: Utility bills get high for many reasons but failing siding is one of the biggest causes of this. This is extra- true if you have any other signs of needing new siding.
- Cracked Siding: It is normal for siding boards to crack here and there with age or after a storm. This is something you can easily fix in the spring. However, cracking could be due to damage beneath the surface and widespread cracking means you need new siding fast.
- Wall Damage: If the wallpaper or paint in your Loveland home are visibly peeling it is likely a sign that there is an issue with your siding involving moisture seeping in. Typically it means moisture is trapped behind your siding and coming out of your wallboard. You should get your siding inspected immediately in this case.
- Holes: This type of siding damage is problematic because it means moisture has a direct path into your home. Usually, these holes come from pests, birds, and insects and likely, once you see them, which means it is time for new, pest-resistant siding–and pest control.
- Moldy Siding: Mold is something we see in the seams of siding and could be a sign that water has penetrated deeper into your home. While you may not need new siding right away you need an inspection and a plan to get rid of the mold asap–since mold can be dangerous.
- Bubbling: You likely have water trapped beneath your siding if you see bubbling on it. Under these circumstances, the damage tends to be pretty significant and you need to replace or risk structural damage.
- Fading: Here in Colorado the sun is intense and really does a job on siding. It means siding here does fade faster. However, most siding is equipped to handle high UV and should last at least 10 years before fading. Meaning–if you see fading, and your siding is less than 10 years old, it could be a sign the coating has failed. It should be replaced and is likely under warranty still.