James Hardie® Siding Maintenance for Denver Homes
Part of maintaining your new James Hardie® siding is following the proper procedures for care and maintenance. Fiber cement siding is very low maintenance, but like any part of your home, should be cleaned and attended to on a regular basis. Keeping your siding clean and making repairs to damaged caulking, cracks, or chips helps to ensure that your siding stays in good condition and keeps your home looking beautiful. If you are ever in doubt about how to address a certain maintenance issue, it’s always a good idea to refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations or contact a local James Hardie® siding contractor like Denver’s Scottish Home Improvements.
James Hardie® Siding Maintenance and Cleaning
James Hardie® fiber cement siding is generally low maintenance and easy to care for. However, James Hardie® does recommend that homeowners take steps to maintain their siding on a regular basis. Normal care and maintenance guidelines for most James Hardie® products recommend that homeowners should:
- Wash exterior surfaces once every 6 to 12 months with a low-pressure water spray such as a garden hose to remove grime, dirt, and buildup.
- Clean stubborn stains on ColorPlus® siding using only a soft brush or towel. Very difficult stains can be removed with the aid of a mild detergent.
- Manage water flow effectively by installing gutters and downspouts. Clean gutters as required to remove any blockage and overflows.
- Use “permanently flexible” caulking to repair caulking as soon as it begins to shows signs of wear.
- Keep trees and vegetation trimmed and away from your siding.
James Hardie® Siding Repainting and Repairs
If you believe that your James Hardie® ColorPlus® siding may need repainting, you might want to consider washing it first. Most of the time, washing your siding helps to remove dust and debris which can rejuvenate its appearance. However, if painting or repairs are desired, it’s best to stick to the following tips and advice:
- Repainting over the top of ColorPlus® products before the 15-year warranty is expired will void the warranty. If repainting is still desired, homeowners should refer to the Technical Bulletin S-100 on the James Hardie® website.
- Use ColorPlus® touch up to repair any scratches or damage caused during installation if the area is smaller than the size of a dime.
- Do not use stains on PrimePlus products.
- For PrimePlus® products, check the manufacturer’s recommendations for repairs and repainting.
- Keep deicing salts away from James Hardie® products. Use sand or gravel instead as a substitute.
- Repair minor surface damage using a cementitious patching compound that’s compatible with fiber cement.
Speak to a Siding Expert in Denver
Are you looking for more information? Do you have questions about a specific maintenance issue? Contact one of our siding experts in Denver! We’ll be more than happy to provide you with additional assistance and/or information.