The Leaders in Vinyl Siding in Denver, Colorado
Vinyl siding is a perfect replacement product for wood houses beginning to show their age on the outside. The product has an appearance similar to wood including a “woodgrain” type finish. It is a perfect choice to upgrade the exterior of a home; it’s great for “fix and flips,” ideal for rental properties, and is a terrific option for other residential or commercial properties where the price point cannot justify the expense of other exterior improvement products.
Vinyl siding is used primarily on single-family homes priced up to $250,000. Approximately 1/3rd of its production is used for new construction, and two-thirds is used in the remodeling industry. It is a very popular replacement for many Denver homes that were originally built with traditional wood siding products.
Vinyl Siding Benefits
Vinyl siding has been one of the most popular choices for siding in Colorado for years –and for good reason too! Vinyl is durable, energy efficient, and beautiful and is a great choice for remodels and new construction homes alike. By choosing vinyl for your residing project, you can experience many enjoyable benefits including:
- Cost: Vinyl is one of the most economical options for residing your home and does not require any expensive upkeep or maintenance.
- Low maintenance: Vinyl siding mimics the appearance of wood without the high level of maintenance. Because the color goes through the panel, it does not require any future scraping, staining, or painting.
- Aesthetics: Vinyl materials allow for deep grooves, giving them an authentic wood or cedar appearance.
- Durability: While other siding options may split, crack, or rot, vinyl does not.
- Versatility: Vinyl siding is available in both horizontal and vertical styles as well as many different finishes and color options.
Denver Vinyl Siding Options
Remodelling your home with vinyl isn’t just a practical option; it’s also fun too. There are many different options for residing your home with vinyl including that can make your home improvement experience fun and enjoyable. When you choose to reside your home with vinyl, you’ll be able to choose from a whole world of options including:
- Horizontal: Horizontal vinyl siding is a clean, classic option that’s perfect for any type or style of architecture. Add vertical accents or trim to your horizontal siding to really spice things up.
- Vertical: Vertical siding is especially useful for placing emphasis on height or design features and is a unique, stylish option for residing your home. Place vertical siding around your porch or balcony for a dramatic, eye catching look.
- Energy Efficient: Energy efficient options help protect your home against the elements and save money on heating and cooling costs.
- Colors: When it comes to vinyl siding colors, the options are virtually limitless. Go bold with rich autumn red, coastal sage, or laguna blue or opt for something more traditional like natural linen or cape cod grey.
What to Know About Vinyl Siding Installation
Recent technological advances mean that higher end vinyl siding products now include UV (ultra violet) stabilizers to provide resistance to breakdown from UV light. Most major manufacturers apply a spectrally selective UV coating that to the surface that filters out UV rays from the sun which would otherwise degrade the PVC material (polyvinyl chloride) that the siding is made of. This is important in Denver where we have 300 days of sunshine a year, and far higher levels of UV rays than lower elevations. Dry climates are also more suited for this product than wet climates as vinyl siding has been shown to “yellow” less in dry conditions
PVC is an extruded thermoplastic polymer. Environmentally, there are pros and cons to its use. The environmental pros are:
It uses less energy to produce than other types of siding. This is a very good thing since more than over 2 billion square feet are being produced annually.
It has significant insulating and heat saving properties, so it is considered a “green” product because it will save significant energy. This, of course, also benefits consumers by resulting in noticeably lower utility bills for heating and cooling their homes.
The lack of need for painting also means less toxins in air and water.
New vinyl siding can be recycled (such as factory remnants and job site leftovers) but unfortunately, old product removed during remodeling is not recyclable.
Vinyl Siding Options for Your Denver Home
Scottish Home Improvements is honored to partner with all the best vinyl siding manufacturers in order to ensure that our clients find the exact solution they’re looking for. Vinyl siding offers numerous benefits at an attractive price point for homeowners throughout Denver.
- Alside® Vinyl Siding: Alside is one of the largest vinyl siding manufacturers and is definitely a brand we recommend for those interested in vinyl. With gorgeous aesthetics that mimic the appearance of authentic wood grain, Alside vinyl siding offers great insulated options for better energy efficiency.
- CertainTeed Vinyl Siding: With one of the most comprehensive vinyl siding collections, CertainTeed offers virtually every aesthetic of siding made with vinyl material. Homeowners can completely transform their curb appeal with these budget-conscious options.
- Crane Vinyl Siding: Crane has created vinyl siding solutions that focus on energy efficiency and diverse color choices. These premium vinyl siding options are available at a cost-effective price point and provide the aesthetic appeal true to vinyl siding.
- Ply Gem® Variform Vinyl Siding: This high-performance vinyl siding solution is available in lap, vertical, shake, and shingle options. Denver homes can take advantage of the vibrant, bold colors and amazing price point of this vinyl siding.
- Royal Vinyl Siding: Royal is one of the top vinyl siding manufacturers that really focuses on the details of their siding aesthetic. With insulated options that help homeowners save money on energy costs, Royal vinyl siding is a wonderful addition to any home.
Vinyl Thickness: Why It Matters
Regardless of which home siding you are purchasing, knowing a bit about the options available to you is a very good idea. Vinyl, like other sidings, ranges in options from thickness to chemical make-up. Quality is linked to your different choices, so it is critical to do your research. From economy grade to premium grade vinyl siding has a place on many homes in our state, it really depends on your home value, whether you will live in or rent the home, the current state of your homes siding and your expectations for resale value. Below we have listed a few options you will find with vinyl siding for your Colorado home.
Thickness is a fairly good indicator of value when it comes to vinyl siding. It is easy to see and feel something that is flimsy. The thickness affects durability too. A cheaper siding will sag more and protect less against something like hail, which is common here in Colorado.
Measured in thousandths of an inch vinyl comes in the following grades:
Vinyl Thickness Grades For Colorado Homes
0.038” – Economy grade
0.040” – Builder’s grade
0.042” – Light residential grade
0.044” – Standard residential grade
0.046” – Thick residential grade
0.048” – Premium grade
Panels should range from 0.040 inches thick to 0.045. Thicker vinyl siding is more durable but The American Society of Testing and Materials ( ASTM) standard requires only 0.035 inches. For soffit panels, you really want about 0.05 inches thick. Since soffits are installed horizontally and secured on only the edges, the extra thickness helps to prevent these panels from sagging and bowing over time.
Schedule Your In-Home Consultation Today
Scottish Home Improvements is proud to offer complimentary in-home consultations for homes throughout Colorado. If you’re considering vinyl siding, we’re happy to help you find the best option that checks off all of your requirements. With countless years of product knowledge, we can help you choose the right siding material for your property. Contact us today!