How do you know when it’s time to replace your siding? This is an important home improvement that needs to be carefully considered. If your siding is old and you’ve been wondering if it’s time to upgrade, here are some things to consider:
- Is the siding damaged in any way, including panels that are cracked, warped (which could be a sign of water damage) split, or even have chunks missing or holes? As a general rule, if at least 50 individual siding panels are damaged, it’s probably time to replace the entire thing.
- Are the seams of the panels still firmly joined? If they are loose or coming away from the building, rain may be getting behind them. This moisture can be causing damage to the structure of your home. Rot, mold, fungus and mildew can be growing underneath, further destroying your house and causing health issues as well. This is particularly common with traditional wood siding.
- Does it need repainting or look shabby? There are many sidings now on the market that don’t fade the way wood does. Many modern sidings eliminate the need for frequent repainting, as their finishes last many years longer than wood siding’s does.
- Do you need to improve the energy efficiency of your home to be more comfortable during Colorado’s climate extremes and save on your energy bills? This is a popular reason to install new siding. Since your old siding was installed, there has been much advancement in the field.You might be surprised to find that even if your home is only 5 or 10 years old, it is probably one of the 46 million under-insulated homes in the U.S. Since 50 – 70 percent of the average home’s energy bills come from heating and cooling, a properly insulated home is one of the lowest cost home improvement options that will improve your home’s energy efficiency and save you money in the long term.
For example, James Hardie’s fiber cement siding, with an added layer of rigid foam insulation and their unique HardieWrap® weather barrier can cut down on air leakage, heat transfer and your energy costs overall.
- If you are planning to sell your home, new siding adds value to your home and presents an attractive appearance to attract savvy buyers. Trying to sell a home in today’s market with shabby or damaged siding will not help you at all, and if you do receive offers they will be low, reflecting the condition of the siding.
Along with James Hardie siding, Scottish Home Improvements offers vinyl siding, traditional wood or stucco siding and steel siding. If you have decided that you are overdue for new siding, how do you decide which one is right? They each have their benefits. Why not give us a call for a free estimate on your home siding or commercial siding project? Our home improvement pros will assess your situation and recommend the perfect siding to meet your needs and of course, your budget. Contact us today!